Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Please help- traveling with a laptop in Europe?

Please help- traveling with a laptop in Europe?
Hi, I am leaving for Europe on Sunday and I want to make sure I have everything correct. I am taking my laptop with me. Do I need a CONVERTER or an ADAPTOR for the laptop? I am sooo confused. I purchased the Jensen power and travel foreign voltage converter- converts 220-240 watts, with a maximum AC power of 50 watts. On my laptop plug, it says that the wide range output is 65 watts, and that input is 110 to 220 volts. Did I purchase the wrong thing? I have a feeling I did. Please somebody who has travelled to Europe before with a laptop let me know exactly what I should buy. I don't want to fry my laptop!! I have an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC if that makes any difference. Thank you SO much for your help :-)
Laptops & Notebooks - 1 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
In Europe the power is at 220 volts with a frequency of 50 Hz, in USA 110 V / 60 Hz. You need either: 1 a converter 220V to 110V in between the wall socket and your standard (US) power adaptor. 2 a generic laptop power adaptor. What you bought would have been fine if it would have been more powerfull. Since the recommended minimum for your laptop is 65W, the converter or adaptor must be capable to hold more than 75W, ideally at 100W. When you arrive in Europe go to any it shop and buy a generic 100w laptop power adaptor .


Read more discussions: