Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Carrying my laptop to Europe?

carrying my laptop to Europe?
I'm carrying my laptop to France, and I was wondering how am I going to charge it? My laptop was bought in Canada, so it has a different current from over in Europe. What do i have to buy? A converter would work? Also I've heard somewhere that if you plug your appliance into a socket that uses a different current, that it could damage it? I plan to carry my iPod and laptop or netbook, what should I buy? Thanks
Other - Europe - 5 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
An electric converter is all you need to buy. Don't forget to bring your charging cords! Have fun..France is a wonderful destination.
Answer 2 :
Most all laptop (and camera and ipod) chargers work on any international voltage supply. Check the instructions to be sure, look for something like "110 to 240 VAC 50/60Hz". You do NOT need a converter. Then all you need is a plug converter, or a few of them in your case, that you can get in any drug store or hardware store for a few dollars. I've been on quite a few trips to Europe, and I have a bunch of plug converters that work just fine. .
Answer 3 :
the voltage in france is 220. In the us it is 110, not sure about canada. So if you plug your appliances in they will break. You can buy converters for your ipod and computer.
Answer 4 :
You can easily buy an adapter from amazon or some stores in town to clip onto the end of the power chord.
Answer 5 :
As someone else told you, your laptop and iPod will both work here without a voltage converter. All you need is the plug adapter. Something like this will be fine: http://www.buy.com/prod/us-to-europe-eu-travel-plug-electric-power-outlet-adapter-converter/q/listingid/75271989/loc/101/213645860.html You can find them at places like Radio Shack, Walmart, Target, Brookstones, airport shops and most luggage stores. I have 5 laptops, several cameras, and other devices here and have never needed more than this. Things like hair driers, electric shavers and other appliances that may not be dual voltage could need a voltage converter - I just buy those kinds of things here.

Read more discussions: