Friday, May 14, 2010

Should i take my laptop with me to europe?

Should i take my laptop with me to europe?
I will be going my my grandparents and brother. so we would use it to email my parents etc. We are staying in hotels and Bed and breakfasts. in Ireland, London, Manchester, Paris and rome and then going on a 12 day cruise. most of the hotels and b&bs have free wifi. if i did i could watch dvds on the plane etc right
Other - Europe - 5 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Well when I brought mine to Mexico for a trip it just went all downhill and my laptop doesnt even turn on now. I think it had somthing to do with the plane but I dont know it also may depend on your laptop. But You might not want to just to be on the safe side but it is your choice
Answer 2 :
Be careful in England, I stayed at about 6 B&Bs , all of which claimed to have wifi, when in reality they either had nothing of the sort, or else had a computer downstairs where you put in a 1 pound coin for 5 minutes. **Be sure to look up the different power plug configurations for the various countries you will be visiting and buy the appropriate converters ahead of time
Answer 3 :
Bad idea. You can't plug it in in any of those countries without a transformer, and it would mean extra weight for you also. Have a bit of sense and avail of Internet Cafés that proliferate modern European cities. Also, many hotels etc. make internet available for a small fee, but you might have to pay a fee for a WIFI connection for your laptop. And bring good books for the flight. Like a good guidebook so you're prepared for the trip. Then you won't be missing your friends quite so much.
Answer 4 :
It's just another thing to lug around on your trip. I would leave the laptop at home. There are still plenty of places here that have public internet access that you can use for e-mail occasionally. You're likely to be spending most of the time out seeing and doing things anyway. If you do bring the laptop, you would need plug adapters for the UK and for continental Europe (one adaptor will work both in Paris and here in Italy). You do not need a transformer. If you read the label on the power supply, it will say something like Input: 100 - 240 Vac 50/60 Hz. That tells you that it already works with both the US and European voltages and currents. It's possible, but not likely, that you'll be able to plug in the laptop during the flight. It depends on the airline, plane type and class of service you're in. If you can't plug in the laptop, you'll be limited by the battery life.
Answer 5 :
Bring a netbook its cheaper to replace if lost and is a lot lighter not sure if they have disc drives

Read more discussions: