Thursday, May 28, 2009

How safe is it to Travel with a Laptop in europe?

How safe is it to Travel with a Laptop in europe?
I'm going to Italy, Has anyone had any bad experiences with their computer? If I keep it with me at all times while i'm in the air port, and locked in my suitcase while i'm in the hotel, will I have any problems?
Rome - 5 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
It is best to strap it to your chest, so it blocks the bullet from your heart. Seriously, Europeans have as many lap tops as Americans, so treat it just like you would if you lived in LA or NY city. Common sense. Have a fantastic, worry-free trip! OH Yeah! Just remember that there are two prices for food in Italy, tourist and local. Make a local friend and you will save a bundle of money. The food is heavy, but the wine is the best. Just remember where home is! Have fun.
Answer 2 :
Other than the mafia over there, you should be all set. :) On a serious note, I haven't heard of Italy/Rome being a place of lots of crime. In fact, I think Italy is more safer than the US. Just take care of your stuff and you should be all set. Don't show it off when you don't have to. Like on a train of something, keep it tucked in your briefcase and keep your briefcase in your site.
Answer 3 :
Well u should be careful everywhere u go these days...u shouldn't walk with the laptop in the street..a lots of east people still stuff in italy....leave it home.
Answer 4 :
I took my laptop to Europe with no problems, of course it depends where you're staying (hotel v. youth hostel v. B&B). You might ask at the reception if there is a safe where you could store your laptop for extra security. However, depending what you plan to do with the laptop, you might be better off to leave it home and just use internet cafes, which are quite prevalent and not too expensive. Most internet cafes have full service computers with MS Office, etc. booted on them and available for your use. Also, don't forget to make sure your power adapter is dual voltage, or get a voltage adapter if necessary.
Answer 5 :
I was in Europe for about 3 weeks with my laptop. I was quite comfortable. I suggest you look around for sale and affordable accomodation.

Read more discussions: