Monday, December 28, 2009

Why is my laptop shocking me when I charge it in Europe?

Why is my laptop shocking me when I charge it in Europe?
I'm studying abroad in Italy and I'm using an adaptor to charge my American Apple laptop. Whenever my laptop is plugged in it makes a buzzing sound and recently I can actually feel an electrical charge coming from my laptop when I touch it. It charging correctly, but I'm not sure if this is safe for my laptop? Any help?
Laptops & Notebooks - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
the voltage might be too much for your laptop to handle. check the battery pack on the laptop and see what voltage it takes then see what the voltage is on the charger pack. be careful as to not giving too much voltage into the laptop or it will fry your battery
Answer 2 :
Europe has a different standard voltage than America does. Most newer laptops have an Input of 100 to 240 Volts, and 50-60 Hz. Your laptop AC adapter brick should list the voltage range its capable of handling. If its not capable of handling the higher voltage, then you will need a converter to plug your laptop into which will convert the voltage to something your laptop can use. If it is capable of handling this voltage then it is possible you have a short somewhere that is electrifying your case. If this happens in every outlet you plug it into, I would check your AC adapter to make sure it is putting out the proper voltage. Good luck!
Answer 3 :
Probably not grounded. Italy uses 220VAC 50 hz so your charger should handle that. But it appears the electrical system where you are using it is not properly grounded. Try reversing the plug at the outlet if it is not a three prong plug like in the USA


Read more discussions: