Saturday, April 7, 2012

If customs check my laptop and find downloaded shows, do I get in trouble?

If customs check my laptop and find downloaded shows, do I get in trouble?
I have a few shows such as Dexter and CSI that I've downloaded using torrents. I'm coming to the USA on a trip and wanted to bring them along for when I'm bored, specially since my layover in Europe is 9 hours. If customs check my laptop and find them, do I get in trouble for illegal downloading? Can they prove that it's been downloaded and not bought and just copied to my machine? What about Mp3s?
Other - Computers - 3 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
They don't go through your laptop looking for downloaded movies/music. They will xray your computer to make sure its not a bomb, but they aren't gonna inspect the files on it.
Answer 2 :
It's illegal, and they do sometimes check at the border. TSA agents can randomly pick people out of a line and take them to a room where they require you to log on to your computer. They can then go through files and make you unencrypt any that are encrypted. If they find pirated materials, they can deny you entry and also levy a fine.
Answer 3 :
when i went through customs with a labtop i only had to show them it turned on. TSA is only worried if your computer is a weapon pirated movies and music would take way too much investigation for every person traveling with a labtop in and out of the country. Plus the TSA has nothing to do with illegally downloaded copies. Its an intellectual property issue and the copyright owners would be the ones filing charges not the TSA. I'm sure you will be fine.


Read more discussions: