Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Do I need power adaptor or plug adaptor for my laptop in France?

Do I need power adaptor or plug adaptor for my laptop in France?
I heard that most U.S. laptops do not require a power adaptor for Europe. I just bought a Toshiba laptop and I am planning on taking it to France. Can someone (with technical experience, please!) tell me if this is safe? Also, where is the cheapest place to get a plug adaptor? Thanks in advance.
Laptops & Notebooks - 1 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
The AC-DC brick of your laptop is likely compatible internationally. This is done so that the manufacturer saves money by only having to make and stock one product. Check to make sure that the adapter says Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz. If it does, there is no problem electronically. You will, however, need an adapter to the French plugs. There are two types, but the most useful and most common is the Europlug. Unsurprisingly, it works in pretty much every continental European country (careful, so NOT the UK). The Europlug will also fit into the other type of socket that is used in France. You do not need a voltage converter for most DC-powered devices (AC-DC converters, power bricks, phone chargers, battery chargers), but again check for 100-250V, 50/60Hz labeling. Using USA equipment not labeled for 250V is a safety hazard! The USA-Europlug adapter is available for US$2.00 at . The Europlug is terribly convenient and mine gets a workout about once a year.

Read more discussions: