Saturday, May 14, 2011

What do I need to buy to charge my laptop?

Using electricity in Europe....what do I need to buy to charge my laptop?
So, soon I am going to Germany. I live in the U.S. and I'm bringing my Laptop computer and cell phone with me. I need to be able to use them so what do I need to buy so I can recharge them since Germany doesn't have the same electrical outlets as in the U.S. I know I need an adaptor or something, but where would I get it and what kind do I need?
Other - Electronics - 2 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Chances are you won't need a power converter because most laptop supplies are switching type supplies but you may need a receptacle adapter both of these are available at Radio Shack if you need them and I think most big box stores sell them as well (walmart, target, etc.)
Answer 2 :
It's easy enough to check for yourself. If you look at the power packs for your phone and laptop, somewhere on the label it will say something like "Input 100V-240V" or "Input 100V-120V". If it has the first one, it is a dual voltage power supply, and all you need is a 110V to 220V plug adapter (Be sure to specify that it is for Germany, since the outlets are not the same in all the European countries). You should be able to get them at any decent electronics store. If you can't get one in the states, they are very easy to find here in Germany. If it has the second one, it is NOT dual voltage and you will need to get a 220V power supply for that device. these can usually be ordered from the manufacturer, or you can get a generic dual voltage power supply, just make sure that you match the connector, output voltage and amperage. By the way, I hope it's a tri-band cell phone, or you will run into issues, since the cell phones in Europe use a different RF frequency than the phones in the States.


Read more discussions: