Thursday, February 2, 2012

Using a Macbook laptop while in Europe?

Using a Macbook laptop while in Europe?
I will be studying abroad in Germany for six months and bringing along my macbook. I am concerned with the power situation, I have blown out numerous appliances while abroad and I will be screwed if this happens to my computer. I know I will need a power adapter so I can charge my computer, but how can I assure that it won't overheat and ruin it? Do they sell macbook chargers in Europe that fit the outlets there so I don't have to plug in an adapter? (I'm assuming they must because how else would people in Europe use mac computers, I just haven't been able to find any) Thanks.
Laptops & Notebooks - 4 Answers
People's Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
Answer 1 :
Check the adapter on your macbook - it should say 110-240V. If it says that, you just need an adapter ofr the plug outlet in Germany. Good luck with your studies.
Answer 2 :
Here's the perfect solution from apple: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/M8794G/B?mco=MTIxODk3Mw I bout it Worked great in: France, Germany, Switzerland.. Oh and good luck with studying
Answer 3 :
If you use an outlet adapter, be sure to read warnings like "Not for sensitive electronics". I'm sure someone makes outlet adapters for electronics. A specific European charger for the Macbook would be an excellent investment, though. Mind you, I've charged an iPod Nano with an outlet adapter "Not for sensitive electronics" in Cuba, but it was a risk, and the results were sketchy. It overheated and shut down the charger a lot, but it worked.
Answer 4 :
Yes...Macs are sold in Europe, so they would have to be selling compatable transformers. You *should* have no issues with pluging your NA laptop into the European transformer, since the transformer takes the incoming AC current and "smooths" it out into the "flavour" of voltage that the computer wants. This is the major reason the transformer unit heats-up. But, that is another issue! :D If you have a Mac store handy, go pay a visit before you board the aircraft, and ask the handy tech staff. If you're lucky, they'll actually know their stuff (unlike the Geek Squad from Best Buy, which is notorious for hiring people that haven't the slightest clue about the electronics they are supposed to "repair," sometimes almost to the point of not knowing how to power-on the unit!). Now, due to Steve Job's anal attitude about "his" baby...the connector to the computer and the voltages the computer run on are likely to be identical, regardless of what country you buy a Mac in... Good Luck!

Read more discussions: